Business Leadership Program for In-house Counsel
Become a Certified In-House Counsel – Canada
One smart investment. Endless possibilities.
Grow your influence and earning potential. Register for the Business Leadership Program for In-House Counsel. Offered by the Rotman School of Management in conjunction with the CCCA, it is the only program of its kind in Canada.
Why become certified?
Today’s business environment calls for lawyers who are trusted legal advisors and strategic business partners. There’s a growing demand for in-house counsel who understand business issues and have strong financial literacy skills. The Business Leadership Program for In-House Counsel will give you the competitive edge you need to pave your way toward a leadership role within your organization.
Upon completion, you will join an exclusive group of Canadian lawyers with the designation of Certified In-House Counsel – Canada (CIC.C).
What you can expect
This 10-month program consists of three 3-day courses taught by Rotman School of Management faculty, combined with a self-paced online program. Guided by expert professors and executives-in-residence, you will learn how to:
- Contribute to your organization’s strategic planning and success
- Understand business financials and the bottom-line impact of executive decisions
- Enhance your legal advice with strategic business insight
- Position yourself as a meaningful member of the senior team
Who should apply?
This program is designed for in-house counsel who need management and leadership skills to advance their careers and contribute in meaningful ways to their organization’s executive team. Whether you are new to in-house counsel, in a mid-level position, serving as Senior Counsel, or acting as an Only Legal Officer, the program will offer you the knowledge and insights you need to make a lasting impact on your organization.
Your course of study
- Course 1: Understanding & Navigating the organizational Dynamics (in-person)
- Course 2: Practical / Business Application (online)
- Course 3: Developing as a Manager (in-person)
- Course 4: The Effective General Counsel: From Manager to Leader (in-person)
* Phase 2 Prerequisite: 3 years in-house counsel experience.
Program applicants must be in good standing with a provincial Law Society and be a CBA/CCCA member in good standing in order to enroll in the program and to maintain the certification.
The program’s curriculum covers the knowledge you need to succeed:
- Communication within organizations
- Corporate and organizational dynamics
- Employment and HR
- Executive decision-making
- Financial management
- Governance, programs and policies
- Management and leadership
- Intellectual property
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Regulatory requirements
- Risk management
Our next program is starting soon. Don’t delay. The application deadline is May 12, 2017.
2017‒18 program dates (Cohort 5)
- Course 1: June 9‒11, 2017
- Course 2: Self-paced (online)
- Course 3: November 17‒19, 2017
- Course 4: April 13‒15, 2018
$9,100.00 + applicable taxes, split into three payments:
- $3,640.00 plus taxes - due upon acceptance into the program
- $3,640.00 plus taxes - due two weeks before the start of Course 3
- $1,820.00 plus taxes - due two weeks before the start of Course 4
How to apply
To apply, please complete and submit this application form as soon as possible. Enrollment is limited. To find out more about the program or application process, contact email@example.com.
Scholarships are available to selected applicants who meet the scholarship criteria and the following conditions:
- Self-identify as a person with disability*, a member of an in-house department and be recommended by their legal department’s General Counsel/Chief Legal Officer for the program.
- Be in good standing with their provincial Law Society.
- Be a member in good standing of the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA).
*Individuals with physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which, in interaction with various barriers, may hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.
Votes of confidence
“The program has been a tremendous resource to me and had an immediate impact on my career.” – Dave Suchon, Director and Senior Corporate Counsel, Novo Nordisk Canada Inc.
“Having financial literacy is fundamental to being a good in-house lawyer. As lawyers, we are trained to be guardians of corporate integrity, but you have to go beyond that and become a trusted advisor.” – Ryan Lennox, Director and Senior Counsel, Amgen Canada
“The program delivers a curriculum loaded with practical information, and is presented by engaging instructors. Legal departments who enroll their personnel will be pleased with the outcome as their in-house lawyers demonstrate experience beyond their years of practice.” – Rob Van Walleghem, Executive Vice-President HSE and General Counsel, Tervita Corporation