Become a Certified In-House Counsel – Canada
Business Leadership Program for In-house Counsel
One smart investment. Endless possibilities.
Grow your influence and earning potential! Register for the Business Leadership Program for In-House Counsel, offered by the CCCA in conjunction with Rotman School of Management – the only program of its kind in Canada.
Why Become Certified?
Today’s business environment calls for lawyers who are trusted legal advisors and strategic business partners. There’s a growing demand for in-house counsel who understand business issues and have strong financial literacy skills. The Business Leadership Program for In-House Counsel will give you the competitive edge you need to pave the way toward a leadership role within your organization.
And it has never been a better time to act! Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Rotman is moving its programs online in the fall, including the BLPIHC. The program has been adapted to a virtual format that meets its world-class reputation, which means you can complete it and earn your CIC.C from your home, without having to budget travel time and cost.
The new online platform allows us to deliver the program in an interesting and pedagogically stimulating way while preserving all of the features of the in-person program, including opportunities for networking and small group collaboration.
Upon completion of this program, you will join an exclusive group of Canadian lawyers with the designation of Certified In-House Counsel – Canada (CIC.C).
What You Can Expect
This 10-month program consists of online classroom sessions taught by Rotman School of Management faculty at the University of Toronto, combined with a self-paced online component.
Guided by expert professors and executives-in-residence, you will learn how to:
- Contribute to your organization’s strategic planning and success
- Understand business financial statements and the bottom-line impact of executive decisions
- Enhance your legal advice with strategic business insight
- Position yourself as a meaningful member of the senior team
The program fee is $9,600.00 (plus applicable taxes).
Payment is due in full upon enrollment. A payment plan option is available upon request.
2020-21 Cohort 8
Attendance at all online classroom sessions is mandatory. Classes will be half-day sessions, running from approximately 10am to 2pm ET.
Please review the program dates below to ensure you will be able to attend.
Module 1: September 17, 19, 22, 24, 29 and October 1, 2020
Module 2: February 9, 11, 16, 18, 23 and 25
Module 3: May 4, 6, 11, 13, 18 and 20
Online Module: September 2020 - May 2021 (9 self-paced online modules)
Final Written Assessment: June 2021
Final Oral Interview Assessment: June 2021 (Telephone appointments will be scheduled.)
How to Apply
*NEW* Application Deadline: August 1, 2020
Download and complete the application form as soon as possible. Enrolment is limited. Please return your completed application as soon as possible to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about the program or application process, please contact Stephanie Lockhart at email@example.com.
Who Should Apply?
This program is designed for in-house counsel who need management and leadership skills to advance their careers and contribute in meaningful ways to their organization’s executive team. Whether you are new to in-house counsel, in a mid-level position, serving as Senior Counsel, or acting as the sole Legal Officer, the program will offer the knowledge and insights you need to have a lasting impact on your organization.
Your Course of Study
The program curriculum delivers the knowledge you need to succeed:
Understanding and Navigating Organizational Dynamic
- The Role of In-House Counsel
- The Nature of Strategic Management
- Organizational Structure and the Evolution of Design as Organizations Grow
- The Causes and Consequences of Organizational Culture
- Effective Problem Solving and Decision Making
Business Leadership Application
- Business Communications
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Regulatory Compliance
- Risk Management
Developing as a Manager
- Fundamentals of Financial Management
- Effective Communication in Business Environment
- The Personal and Organizational Challenges of the Transition to Manager
The Effective General Counsel – From Manager to Leader
- Managing the Unique Challenges of the Legal Department
- Risk Management
- The Journey from Manager to Leader
- CIC.C Written and Interview Assessment
After successful completion of the program, in order to use the CIC.C designation, graduates must:
- have 3 (three) years' experience as an in-house counsel
- be a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial law society in Canada
- be a member in good standing of the Canadian Bar Association
The program’s curriculum covers the knowledge you need to succeed:
- Communication within organizations
- Corporate and organizational dynamics
- Employment and HR
- Executive decision-making
- Financial management
- Governance, programs and policies
- Management and leadership
- Intellectual property
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Regulatory requirements
- Risk management
Scholarships are available to selected applicants who meet the scholarship criteria and the following conditions:
- Self-identify as a person with disability*, a member of an in-house department and be recommended by their legal department’s General Counsel/Chief Legal Officer for the program.
- Be in good standing with their provincial Law Society.
- Be a member in good standing of the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA).
*Individuals with physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which, in interaction with various barriers, may hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.
Votes of confidence
“Having financial literacy is fundamental to being a good in-house lawyer. As lawyers, we are trained to be guardians of corporate integrity, but you have to go beyond that and become a trusted advisor.” – Ryan Lennox, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary at HLS Therapeutics Inc.
“The program delivers a curriculum loaded with practical information and is presented by engaging instructors. Legal departments who enroll their personnel will be pleased with the outcome as their in-house lawyers demonstrate experience beyond their years of practice.” – Rob Van Walleghem, Executive Vice-President HSE and General Counsel, Tervita Corporation